Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A "Leap" Into The Future of Piano Performance

Leap Motion.


For those of you who don't know what Leap Motion is, please check out their site HERE.

Recently I was accepted to be a developer for Leap Motion. The project I chose as my "Dev Project" was that of a virtual piano on which one can play and enter in MIDI information to a music program. This was all fine and dandy, but it didn't register until today just what this would mean.

For those of you who don't know, (and if you follow my blog, you should) I have a wrist condition called Carpal Tunnel (you can find more details on what carpal tunnel is HERE, and read my blog post on it HERE). This wrist condition has gotten to the point where I have found it physically impossible to play the piano. Near the end of November the condition got so bad that I named my performance at the end of that month, "My Last Ever Piano Performance" (as seen in the earlier link. The actual music I performed can be found HERE).

Today, I received my shipment tracking number for my Leap Developer device. It's set to arrive Monday (January 21), the day I'm scheduled for my wrist surgery.

Sorry to get religious on you all, but if I ever doubted that there was a god who actually cared about me, that's a mistake I won't make again. I cannot play a real piano anymore, but thanks to the incredible science of the Leap device, I'll be able to play the virtual piano I create, and I will not stop work on the project until I have created such a virtual piano. I guess I lied when I called my November performance my last ever performance. Expect more piano music, and expect it in a way that nobody's ever seen it played before. Keep in tune for updates here and via my twitter (@AdmiralCubie).

I'm a musician, I'm a programmer, and I'm a pianist.
-AdmiralCubie

4 comments:

  1. Well, I'm glad you'll be able to play again. I have no doubt you can find a way to make this work. The device is all there so like they say in the industry "the rest is all just software". Heh, they couldn't even begin to dream of the software bugs they might have.

    Anyways I'm happy for you. Best of luck with that job, and may you find success in your endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your LEAP! I'm curious - do you think a method like ASETNIOP would be useful for folks suffering carpal tunnel syndrome? There's a girl who's got Ehler-Danlos syndrome who says it's really helpful for her; I'm wondering if has some of the same advantages for your condition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, because I've had carpal tunnel in varying degrees since I was 8, I've learned to type in a way that is the least stressful to my wrist anyway. So to be honest, I wouldn't use ASETNIOP simply because I'm already proficient at using my keyboard as is with my wrist and I'd rather not learn another method of typing. Maybe for someone else with a similar condition this would help though. Again though, Carpal tunnel is inhibiting, and numbingly (literally) painful, but I myself would be too lazy to learn a whole new way of typing because of it.
      Typing's not like playing the piano where you're consistently and quickly sliding your hands up and down a keyboard in a series of quick, often wrist-stressful movements.

      Delete