Thursday, November 8, 2012

The Hands of a Musician - My Descent Into Motor-Impaired Chaos

So I was writing code for my programming class yesterday, and for those of you who have ever used Microsoft's "Visual Studios", you know that text appears red if the code doesn't make sense or is broken.
Now, I am by no means a professional-tier programmer, but I couldn't help but feel that there was an extraordinary amount of red on my screen. Needless to say this was a problem.
Upon closer examination, it appeared that the reason behind much of the red text, were typos! For those of you who don't know, I have the unfortunate habit of looking at my hands and not the computer screen when I type. This is not due to a state of constant inaccuracy, but rather just an unhelpful habit I've picked up over years of using my computer keyboard as a MIDI input keyboard for musical reasons. Me not paying apt attention to the screen however, caused me to fail at recognizing typos, and continue on with the seemingly endless task of computer programming homework.



Now, you might be asking, "what is the reason for your current lack of motor impairment? You play at least three instruments where the placement of your fingers is crucial!"
My answer to your question is simple; my guitar.

You ought to know that although I spent six or so months a few years ago teaching myself to play guitar, I never really became proficient. And so, this year, I decided to take my schools guitar course. About a week into the said course, I began noticing things. Firstly, that guitar was really, really fun. Secondly, that playing my steel-strung guitar really, really hurt. After intense self-debate, it was concluded that I needed to get rid of one of these two attributes of playing the guitar. Being the person that I am, and enjoying guitar as much as I have, I decided that the best solution for me, would be to practice until callouses developed on my fingers and playing the guitar stopped hurting. This was a good, sound idea. Unfortunately, my way of looking at good, sound ideas is hardly normal.

Practicepracticepracticepracticepracticeohmahgoshthisissoawesomeletmeplaythissongnext.

There's a sort of addiction to being able to play your favorite songs on an instrument, and when I figured out that by learning just a few finger positions, (chords) I could successfully play any given song to the point of definite recognition, I was hooked. My face when I discovered the magic of chords can be most accurately portrayed by the picture below.
Now, a term later and about a week and a half into my crazed guitar practicing, my fingers feel alien. From the numb tingling when pressure is applied to their tips, to the rough callouses mountaining around their pads, my fingers have acquired a sort of disabled motor-impairment that I will name guitar finger!
Unfortunately, my current physical situation also points towards a temporary hiatus from my guitar. Even this post has been arduous in the writing, and piano is near impossible! Gotta say though, when my fingers stop being weird and stupid, this'll have been worth it. Guitar wins.

Ramble on,
Cubie

No comments:

Post a Comment